It is obligatory to carry a list of vehicle documents while driving, especially when traveling across cities.
Online from Your DigiLocker Account
The Process to Create a DigiLocker Account
Once that is done, you need to follow some basic steps below to open a Digilocker account for digital RC download.
– Go to the official portal of DigiLocker
– On the homepage of DigiLocker, go to the ‘sign-up’ tab and click on it
– On the page that appears, submit your name, Aadhaar card number, mobile number, DOB or date of birth, etc.
– You will receive an OTP on your mobile. Provide the number in the allotted space
– Next, enter all the required information to successfully create a DigiLocker account to get a Digilocker RC book download
How to Download RC from the DigiLocker Account?
If you want to know how to download the RC book online using your Digilocker account, below are the steps you need to follow:
– The first step requires you to visit the official portal of Digilocker and sign into your account using your user ID and password. Alternatively, you can use your Aadhaar number too.
– On the home page, choose the ‘Issued Documents’ tab
– Next, look for the “Get More Issued Documents’ option
– You will land on a page with a list of several government departments
– Go to the ‘Ministry of Road and Transport’ department
– Click on the ‘Registration of Vehicles’ option
– Here, you have to submit your vehicle registration and chassis number
– You can see the ‘Get Document’ option on the screen that appears before you. Click on it
– Now, you can download your RC book in the preferred format as per the specific requirement
– You can even get your RC book downloaded in PDF format and save it on your mobile or laptop
The Process for Uploading RC to the DigiLocker Account
Now that you know the process of online RC download from DigiLocker, you must know how to upload the RC to DigiLocker as well. Here are the steps to follow:
– You will have to go to the Android Playstore or iOS store to download the DigiLocker app
– You can sign in by submitting your valid mobile number
– You will receive an OTP once you provide the number. Submit the OTP and proceed further to validate it
– Once the validation process is complete, you will have to create a username and password for the account
– To complete the registration process, you need to submit your Aadhaar (linked to your mobile) details and the OTP received
– This will finally create your DigiLocker account, where you can save documents
– Now, to upload the RC, click the ‘Upload’ button on the dashboard
– Next, choose the RC to be uploaded to the account and click on the ‘Upload File’ tab
– From the dropdown list available, select the type of document you want to upload
– Proceed further and save the documents in the Digi locker
– Lastly, authenticate your documents with your digital signatures or a QR code
What Documents of Your Vehicle Can Be Stored in DigiLocker?
Below are the documents that can be stored in Digi Locker:
1. Driving License (DL): No one can drive without a DL in India. It is punishable by law if you drive on Indian streets without a valid driving license.
2. Registration Certificate (RC Book): The RC book proves that the vehicle is legally registered with the RTO of India and is safe to drive.
3. Insurance Papers: The Motor Vehicles Act 1998 in India makes it compulsory to have third-party vehicle insurance to ensure the safety of the third party.
4. PUC (Pollution Under Control) Certificate: Another important piece of paper to carry while driving is a PUC certificate. This certificate ensures that the level of emission coming out of your vehicle meets the safety standard mentioned by law.