Every year March 8 is observed as International Women’s Day to celebrate the rights and achievements of women in different spheres like political, economic, social or cultural and so on.
Theme, History & Importance
The history of women’s fight for their rights and equality goes way back to 1908. This was the time when the world saw great unrest among women who marched against their oppression and inequality as well as demanded better pay and voting rights.
Here are some facts about International Women’s Day:
- UN adopted International Women's Day in 1975.
- In some countries like Albania, Macedonia, Serbia, and Uzbekistan, International Women's Day and Mother's Day are celebrated together.
- The 2023 International Women's Day theme is "Cracking the Code: Innovation for a gender equal future
– UN 2015 report: Women earn 24% less than men globally.
– Another report says that women could save less as compared to men for retirement
– Algeria is a country that boosts of over 70% women lawyers and 60% women judges.
So, what can you do to participate and get involved in the global women’s day activities.
– Get involved in Women's Day events in your area. Most major cities worldwide have programs you can join.
– Send a card, gift, or bouquet to the women in your life if you can't participate in events. It will make them happy and you feel good.
– Learn about prominent women in different fields like sports, literature, music, and art, etc. It can inspire you.