As the saying goes, Health is wealth, and to maintain good health you need to give it utmost priority. Hence it confirms the importance of getting regular preventive health check-ups.
Like servicing is essential for smooth running of most machinery, our body, which is also like an intense machine that works efficiently and helps us keep going, requires preventive check-ups. So, our health deserves regular check-ups. However, we tend to avoid preventive check-ups and ignore our body most of the time.
Below are rules for claiming preventive health checkup deduction on income tax:
1. Expense on preventive health check-up can be incurred during a specific financial year.
2. If you get your own health check-up done, or of your partner/spouse, your dependent children, or your parents, then only you can enjoy tax deduction by means of preventive check-up.
3. Tax benefits on preventive health check-up can be received generally in terms of money.
4. There is no extra deduction for senior citizens if they go through the preventive check-up.
Few Other Points to Take Note of in Regard to Preventive Health Check up:
1. Nothing has been specified by law about the kinds of medical tests that qualify under preventive check-ups.
2. Another good thing about preventive check-up deductions is that you don’t need to submit any receipt about the same to the department of income tax.
3. You must also note that the preventive health check deduction can be claimed on an individual basis.