Section 139(1) of Income Tax Act – Mandatory Returns
The section covers both voluntary and mandatory IT returns. The following categories are required to file compulsory ITRs:
– Private, public, domestic or foreign firms/companies situated in the country or doing business here.
– Any person with total income surpassing the maximum limit for exemptions.
– All firms including Unlimited Liability Partnerships and also Limited Liability Partnerships or LLPs.
– Any Indian resident with assets situated outside India including financial shareholding of any foreign company.
– Any Indian resident with the signing authority for any account outside India.
– Any association of persons or AOPs, BOIs or bodies of individuals, and HUFs or Hindu Undivided Families.