How To Transfer RC From One State To Another?


5 min read

Wondering how to transfer Vehicle RC from One State to Another? Procedure for transferring RC and Documents required? Continue reading this blog and get answers to all your queries.

Among the many rules compulsory in India for driving a vehicle, having a Registration Certificate (RC) of your vehicle with the RTO of the state that you are a resident of, is also one. So in the event of transfer or movement from one state to another within India, a vehicle owner is expected to transfer his/her RC from the previous state to the new state within one year of the movement.  Thus, if you want to be a law abiding citizen of the country, you must ensure to transfer your vehicle’s RC while moving to new state so that you can ride your vehicle there without any hassle.

However, in case you are not aware of how to transfer bike or car from one state to another, we are guiding you through the procedure in this blog. Read on to know all about RC transfer process in detail.

Also Read: Checking Car Insurance Status Online on Parivahan Sewa/ RTO

Visual Stories by PayBima

What is the procedure to transfer bike/car registration from one state to another?

Here are the details of the procedure to transfer vehicle from one state to another:

1. Get No Objection Certificate (NOC) – Your first step should be to issue a NOC from your previous RTO where you got your bike or car registered. Here, you also need to ensure that the NOC has your vehicle’s Chassis number imprinted on it.

  • It is important to ensure that you complete the transfer process before the expiry date of the registration, as mentioned in the NOC.
  • If you have financed your vehicle through bank or any other financial agency, you would also need a NOC from them.

2. Vehicle Transfer – The second step is to move your vehicle from your current place of residence to the new state that you are moving in. Of course, you must have the NOC in your hand before you move your vehicle.

3. Visit the RTO in the new state – As a next step, you need to go to the RTO of the new city where you are planning to move and settle permanently.

  • Take all your required documents and present them at the RTO of the new state.
  • Cautiously verify all the documents and make sure that the information offered in the documents are right.

4. Pay the Road Tax Challan as applicable – Next, you have to make the payment of the road tax as applicable in the new state so that you can ride your bike/car without hassle. You must pay the fees of the road tax challan issued by the RTO of the new state.

5. Vehicle verification – This is the next step in the process. Here, you have to get your car/bike verified. So, there will be an inspection to verify your vehicle, where you will have to provide the imprint of the chassis number of your vehicle.

6. Receipt of Registration Certificate – Finally, once the verification is done, the RTO of the new state will issue the registration certificate to you. They will provide a date when you can visit the RTO to collect your registration certificate.

Car Insurance Renewal from PayBima

Papers that are needed for registration in a new state 

You must submit the required documents in the RTO of the new state for getting your bike/car transfer from one state to another and for getting the registration certificate of your vehicle in the new state.

Here is the list of documents you would need to submit in the new state:

  • Previous registration certificate’s original copy.
  • Either a PAN card copy or copy of Form 60 and 61.
  • The copy of NOC issued by the RTO of the previous state or you may provide 3 copies of Form 28.
  • Attested copy of address proof.
  • Attested copy of insurance.
  • Attested copy of Pollution Under Control Certificate or PUC.
  • Application for RC or Form 20.
  • Submission of request for a new registration mark or Form 27.

Is it possible to drive a vehicle without RC transfer?

Registration Certificate is a must have document that you should have with you if you want to drive a vehicle on the Indian roads. As per Motor Law of the country, you can’t drive in India without some important documents, and the RC is one of them. So, like the way a vehicle insurance policy is compulsory, similarly you also need to have a RC as an obligatory document with you while driving. Thus, it becomes necessary for a car/bike owner to transfer RC to be able to drive without hassle in case they move to a new state to settle there permanently.

However, you get one year’s time after shifting to the new city to get your RC transferred. But if you fail to transfer your RC within the given time and continue driving the vehicle, you might get caught and charged penalty. Thus, it is very important to transfer the RC.

We have already informed you about how to transport vehicle from one state to another above. So all you need is to follow the rules and complete the procedure.

Also Read: Cheap Car Insurance Plans in India

Top General Insurance Companies


Transferring RC is not a difficult or complex process. Though it requires you to cautiously follow the steps and to go through the right procedure to transfer your RC in case you want to move your car or bike to a new state.

Registering your vehicle in the RTO of the new state is as important as having an insurance for your vehicle. So, complete the process within a year to transfer bike/car from one state to another, if you don’t want to get into legal hassles. If caught without a RC even after one year of transferring your bike/car to the new state, you will be fined and might be punished under law.

Found this post informational?

Browse PayBima Blogs to read interesting posts related to Health Insurance, Car Insurance, Bike Insurance, Term Life Insurance, and Investment section. You can visit PayBima to Buy Insurance Online.

Also, check out the PayBima’s Guide and Glossary section –


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by paybima (@paybima)

FAQs on Transferring RC From One State To Another

Can I transfer car registration from one state to another in India?

Yes, you can transfer your car registration from one state to another in India.

Procedure to transfer bike/car RC from one state to another?

> Go to the Parivahaan website
> Choose Online Service option for bike RC transfer
> Choose the state you live in and proceed further
> Now, submit the current Registration Number and Proceed further
> Choose the option of ownership transfer 
> Submit the chassis number of the bike along with mobile number
> Now an OTP will be generated in your registered mobile
> Provide the OTP number and finish the verification process
> Proceed by tabbing the ‘Show Details’ option
> Finally, pay the required fee
> Download and keep the receipt with you

Can I buy bike in one state and register in another state? 

Yes, you can buy a car from one state and can register the same in a different state.

How long can I drive vehicle without NOC?

An NOC is an essential document that certifies that there are no dues of tax on the vehicle. If you are travelling to another state for less than three months and planning to take your vehicle with you, you are not required to obtain an NOC.

How do I buy a bike from another state?

For purchasing a bike from another state, you have to get the fully paid road tax certificate of the bike. A tax clearance certificate is required and other necessary documents. Apart from the documents, there are other things to keep in mind while purchasing a bike from another state.

Other Car Insurance Products

Feb 10, 2022
Author Bio
Author Image

PayBima Team
PayBima is an Indian insurance aggregator on a mission to make insurance simple for people. PayBima is the Digital arm of the already established and trusted Mahindra Insurance Brokers Ltd., a reputed name in the insurance broking industry with 17 years of experience. PayBima promises you the easy-to-access online platform to buy insurance policies, and also extend their unrelented assistance with all your policy related queries and services.

Related Blogs

Would love to hear from you

Share your candid feedback. Your email address won’t be published, we promise!

All fields are required

Find your suitable insurance plan

Speak to our advisor

Latest Posts

Mahindra Insurance Brokers Limited (A Mahindra Group Company) - Unit-202, A-Wing, 2nd Floor, Amiti Building, Agastya Corporate Park, Kamani Junction, LBS Marg, Kurla West, Mumbai - 400070. Tel: +91 22 66423800

Licenced by IRDAI License No. 261; License Validity : 17-05-2025; Category : Composite Broker; CIN : U65990MH1987PLCO42609 Member of Insurance Brokers Association of India (IBAI).

Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation.

For a seamless experience, use the latest version of Chrome/Firefox/Internet Explorer.

Copyright © 2024 Mahindra Insurance Brokers. All Right Reserved.

Get A Call Back
Get A Call Back